5 Minute Read + 9 Minute Watch
Plenty of inquiring minds have asked how it’s possible both of us are packing carry on luggage only for the entire trip. For me, it took some planning, researching and a few purchases. For Scott, it’s mostly throwing a few of his most liked clothes into a bag and calling it good (you think I’m kidding).
But, first…why are we just doing carry on luggage?
The main bonus to only having a carry on suitcase and one personal item is avoiding the extra baggage fees. Most airlines now charge for checking bags or bags over certain weight limits – which could really add up over all of our flights. As an added perk, I’m hoping it’s made my packing choices much smarter. I’m sure I’m not the only one who has over-packed just to find myself wearing only a portion of what’s in my suitcase throughout a trip.
In addition to the need to fit my wardrobe into a carry on (requirements vary by airline), I also wanted my clothing selection to:
- Work best in warmer climates. Most of our destinations should be 50 degrees or better during the day, so no winter clothes needed (YAY!).
- Create several outfits by using layers and coordinating colors across different pieces. I chose to stick to neutrals (black, gray and white) with a purple accent color.
- Keep comfort in mind. When I’m on a trip, I always gravitate towards the comfy stuff, so I tried to give myself plenty of comfortable and cute options.
- Follow my classic style. I’m not super trendy and I don’t want my clothes to look dated.
And with all that in mind…here’s the full list of clothes I’m packing in my suitcase for our 15-month trip. I’ve included brands and links to items still available or something very similar. Luckily, most of these garments have been staples of my wardrobe for a couple of years or more so I didn’t have to add much.
- 3 tank tops – a purple and white, a solid black, and a black and white striped.
- 2 workout tank tops – both purple (can be found at Old Navy here and here).
- 3 short-sleeved shirts – a solid purple, a solid black and a black and white patterned.
- 2 long-sleeved, lightweight sweaters – a solid purple and a heathered gray.
- 1 black cardigan
- 1 long-sleeved half zip
- 1 long-sleeved shirt – gray with graphic of Winona, a gift from some dear friends
- 3 Nice Minnesota items – a black tee, a blue tee and a zip-up hoodie created just for our trip (PS – Nice Minnesota is one of our side hustles LINK)
- 1 rain jacket
- 3 pairs of shorts – a denim pair (similar to these), a linen pair in a black and white pattern, and a gray pair for working out.
- 1 pair of skinny jeans
- 1 pair of black jeggings (try looking at nordstromrack.com).
- 1 pair of black workout leggings
- 1 pair printed LuLaRoe leggings
1 purple swing dress with cap sleeves(After writing this post/taking photos, I decided not to pack this item because I in all honestly I dont’ think I’ll wear it that much.)
- 1 black and white patterned sleeveless dress
- Straw fedora hat
- 1 lightweight scarf
- 1 knitted scarf
- 1 large cross body purse
- 1 mini cross body purse (similar to this style)
- 1 black swimsuit
What to Pack: The Video
To see my full wardrobe, watch this video from our YouTube channel and I’ll walk you through each piece.
I’m curious which items are a must-have when you travel. Share it with me in the comments, or, let me know what you think I missed.
Wondering about my personal item? Stay tuned; both Scott and I will be sharing more about how we’re each packing our backpack for the plane rides in an upcoming post. For more travel-related posts, click here.