5 Minute Read
Driving down the Pacific Coast Highway – a sweet stretch of road from Oregon to California – has been on my bucket list for years. Winding highways with jaw-dropping views of the Pacific Ocean, plenty of places to have a fantastic glass of wine, beaches, tourist hotspots, and some pretty good food all sound like the makings of a memorable trip to me.
Scott and I will be heading from Portland and driving down the Pacific Coast Highway for about ten days with our final destination being Los Angeles (our flight to New Zealand takes off from LAX). As always, it was hard to narrow down what we’re going to see and do on this road trip, but here are the high points.
Quick note…we’ll be stopping, picnicking and eating sporadically, so food and drink recommendations are not included in this particular Clipboard of Fun.
- Cannon Beach, with famous Haystack Rock
- Oregon Dunes National Recreation Park
- Cape Blanco State Park
- Brookinigs, OR, for a little shuteye
- Jedediah Smith Redwood Park, where they filmed some of Return of the Jedi!
- Trees of Mystery and Paul Bunyan/Babe Statue
- Folsom, CA to catch up with our friends Ethan and Sammy of Hello Kastellos
Sacramento, CA for a little visit with our friends Keith and Haley
Days 4, 5, & half of 6:
We’ll spend several days catching the sites in San Francisco and hopefully have time for a self-guided walking tour. This one looks pretty good. Plus, we’ll squeeze in as many of these stops as we can handle:
- The Full House House & The Painted Ladies
- Golden Gate Bridge & San Francisco Bay
- Riding the Tram
- Cable Car Museum
- The Most Crooked Street in the World
Day 6 (Second Half):
- Santa Cruz, CA
- Salinas, CA
- Santa Barbara Mission
- Santa Barbara County Courthouse
- Hollywood Bowl, for a Los Angeles Philharmonic show
Days 9, 10, & 11:
We are counting ourselves very lucky to also have our friends Shawn and Katherine in Los Angeles. Scott has been before, but I still want to hit a few major sites while we’re in town like:
- Griffith Park Observatory, which now only reminds me of La La Land ?
- Santa Monica Pier
- The Getty Center and The Getty Villa
- Manhattan Beach
- Los Angeles City Hall, for a bird’s eye view
- Venice Canals
- Central Library Tour
- Seeing the Hollywood Sign
What We’re Budgeting – For Two People
- Car Rental: $700.00
- Accommodations: $600.00 (We are SO grateful we happen to have friends along this route!)
- Food/Drink: $700.00
- Attractions/Entertainment: $300.00
Whew…what an itinerary. If you’ve been to any of the places on our list, or driven down the Pacific Coast Highway, we want to know what we missed. Plus, we love food recommendations! Leave us a comment and we’ll make sure to check it out.