3 Minute Read
We’re excited to be in the Nelson Tasmin area and spend over a week exploring the top of the South Island. To get there, it’s a quick 30-minute flight from Wellington to Nelson. We’ll spend a few days in each place, working our way up the coast from Nelson to near Abel Tasman National Park, and then Golden Bay.
(Check out our other Clipboards of Fun for other locations here.)
Things to Do/See
Nelson will be the only major city we’re staying in for this trip. It’s got plenty of free attractions and scenic views.
- Nelson Walking Tour, to see the main highlights of the city.
- Walk to the Centre of New Zealand
- Queens Garden
- The Nelson Market, because we’ve read rave reviews and luckily we’ll be in town on the weekend when it’s open!
- Rabbit Island, probably for a picnic.
- Wine Tasting, if we can find some wineries that have opened for the Spring season.
Abel Tasman National Park is one of New Zealand’s smaller national parks. It’s famous for the Coastal Track (one of New Zealand’s Great Walks), beaches, sea life and stunning views. We’ll spend our time exploring the park through:
- Hiking various tracks
- Harwood Hole Track, where we’ll get close to a huge hole.
- Guided Kayak Tour, for what promises to be an amazing day of beaches, sea life and great views. We’re doing the Soul Food full day kayak trip.
Golden Bay offers more great outdoor walks and coastal views. Again, we’ll spend most of this part of our trip taking in the scenery through:
- Te Waikoropupu Springs
- Rawhiti Cave Track
- Labyrinth Rocks Walkway
- Pupu Hydro Walkway
- Whakariki Beach
- Farwell Spit
We can already tell that this trip is going to offer us some epic picnic opportunities. The Nelson Tasmin area has a ton of great eateries. Plus, we’re planning to eat out at some great local restaurants and bars.
After wading through a few online articles, Yelp and Trip Advisor, here’s what we’ve narrowed it down to:
- River Kitchen, The Boat Shed Cafe or The Vic Brewbar for dinner in Nelson
- Cod and Lobster for some fancy drinks in Nelson
- The Smoking Barrel, The Mussel Inn or The Dangerous Kitchen for a bite to eat in the Abel Tasman and Golden Bay area
- Patisserie Royale for some sweets
What We’re Budgeting – For Two People
- Travel expenses/transportation: $550.00 for flight and car rental (including gas)
- Accommodations: $750.00
- Food/Drink: $500.00
- Entertainment: $350.00
Have you been to the Nelson Tasmin area? What are you most excited to see us do on this trip? Do you have any packing recommendations for hiking? Leave us a comment.