The Biggest Little Capital in the World
Wellington is a small city with a fun feel to it. We like living here. It’s fairly easy to navigate and very safe. Plus, there are a ton of free things to do in Wellington – from museums to parks to exhibits. It has top notch farmers markets and plenty of hip streets to shop. Of our 8 weeks here, we always have had something to do. Below is a list of some of our favorite things to do on a budget of zero dollars.
Free Stuff to do in Wellington!
First of all, to see what might be available while you are there, check out the Wellington City Council events calendar.
Once you’re done checking out that calendar, consider fitting in some of the activities below into your schedule. We’ve marked our absolutely favorite ones with an asterisk. Feel like upping your game a little? Once you start adding a budget to your adventures you can visit some top notch restaurants and soak in “Wellywood” to the fullest.
- Supreme Court Tour*
- Parliament Tour*
- Civic Square
- War Memorial
- Walk the Waterfront
- Te Papa Museum*
- Cuba Street
- Night Market at Cuba Street
- Harborside Market on Sundays
- Walk Barefoot
- Botanical Gardens
- Cable Car Museum (at Botanical Gardens)
- Wellington Museum
- Central Library*
- City Gallery Wellington
- Farmer’s Market on Church St.
- View from Mt. Victoria
- Hike the Hills by Thorndon*
- Hike the trails at Mt. Victoria
- Visit the Wind Turbine
- Wellington Sign* (10-16 Miramar Ave, Miramar, Wellington 6022)
- Chocolate Factory Tour (on Saturday only)
- Beer Tasting at Garage Project
- Walk the Lyall Beach
- Shop Lambton Quay
- Underground Market
- Jump of the Diving Board near Te Papa Museum
- Find a free Walking Tour
- Visit the Weta Cave
- Visit Old St. Paul’s Church
What free things to do in Wellington did we miss? Have some favorites of your own? Let us know in the comments below.